A democracy sausage is a great way to support your local school this election day.
With the federal election looming, volunteers are working hard behind the scenes to ensure local schools are ready to play their part on election day.
School Parents and Citizens’ Associations (P & Cs) across Canberra will be operating barbecues, bake sales and more to raise funds to support their initiatives.
If your appetite isn’t for democracy sausages, you’ll still be able to snag some of the action with many schools offering diverse menu options, craft stalls, live music, entertainment and more.
Harrison School Communications Coordinator, Kate Riley, said she was excited to bring the school community together for a worthy cause.
“In previous election years we’ve received great support from the local community. The Harrison School has been one of the busiest polling locations in Gungahlin and we’re hoping to see that again this time ’round, ”said Kate.
Mawson Public School in Canberra’s south offers much more than just a barbecue, with an artisan market featuring local artists and handmade crafts, a coffee cart, and live entertainment featuring as part of their election day fundraising activities.
Mawson Public School P&C president, Olga Rogacheva, said the election was one of the highlights on her calendar.
Olga Rogacheva, president of the Mawson Primary school P&C has planned a schedule of events for the day.
“In addition to the traditional democracy sausage sizzle and cake stall, we’ll also have a range of fried dumplings available to showcase and represent the Chinese culture of the school’s community,” said Olga.
“There will be a small artesian market selling soy candles and soaps, kids’ toys, clothing, chilli sauces and local art as well as some local live music acts.
“We want the event to feel like a family day out. The community can do their democratic duty but also have the opportunity to come together and enjoy themselves. ”
Whether you prefer your sausage laid horizontally or diagonally, onion on the top or bottom, a democracy sausage is a great way to support your local public school this election day on 21 May.
- Ainslie School – BBQ, cake stall and raffle
- Amaroo School – BBQ
- Charnwood Dunlop Primary School – BBQ
- Evatt Primary School – BBQ, cake stall and coffee
- Fraser Primary School – BBQ
- Harrison School – BBQ, cake stall, raffle and coffee
- Latham Primary School – BBQ, cake stall
- Maribyrnong Primary School – BBQ and cake stall
- Myles Franklin Primary School – BBQ
- Neville Bonner Primary School – BBQ and cake stall
- Palmerston Primary School – BBQ and cake stall
- Southern Cross Early Childhood School – BBQ
- Turner Primary School – BBQ
- Bonython Primary School – BBQ and cake stall
- Chapman Primary School – BBQ and cake stall
- Charles Weston School – BBQ
- Duffy Primary School – BBQ, cake stall and coffee
- Farrer Primary School – BBQ, cake stall and raffle
- Garran Primary School – BBQ and cake stall
- Gordon Primary School – BBQ and cake stall
- Gowrie Primary School – BBQ and cake stall
- Lyons Early Childhood School – BBQ, cake stall and plant stall
- Mawson Primary School – BBQ, cake stall, artisan market, live music
- Namadgi School – BBQ, cake stall, raffle, kitchen and garden stall
- Red Hill School – BBQ, cake stall, raffle, lawn games, second-hand book and toys stall
- Richardson Primary School – BBQ
- Stromlo High School – BBQ and events
- Taylor Primary School – BBQ
- Telopea Park School – BBQ and cake stall
- Weetangera Primary School – BBQ, cake stall, book stall, jam stall
Is your school P&C hosting a barbecue, cake stall or fundraising event this election day and not on the list? Let us know by sending us a message on the ACT Government Facebook page